- The elbow is susceptible to a disease such as epicondylitis (sometimes external and internal). It arises from injury or severe congestion of the tendons on the arm and affects a person regardless of age. Pain in the elbow joint is felt during weight lifting, that is, when trying to load a hand, or when performing movements that require rotational force: playing tennis, prolonged work with a screwdriver or wrench. If the movements are performed without applying a load, then the pain may not even manifest itself (the same is at rest). External changes in the elbow are not observed, with palpation, unpleasant sensations may appear when touching the lateral bones, but not to the articular formation itself
- Pain in the elbow joint is not always direct in nature, it can also be reflected. For example, from the pain coming from a traumatized area of the cervico-thoracic spine. The mobility of the joint structures is not lost, the appearance remains unchanged. Pain in the elbow joint torments the patient, even when he holds his hand at rest, sometimes interfering with sleep. And, proceeding from the neck or the area of the shoulder blades, it is localized not only in the elbow, but pierces the entire limb.
- An elbow can affect arthrosis. Then, at the initial stages, pain in the elbow will appear when a person tries to bend or unbend his arm to the end (in this case, a crunch is distinguishable in the joint). If measures are not taken in time, then the mobility of the articular structures progressively decreases. With the advanced form of arthrosis, the arm is constantly in a slightly bent position, and the bones undergo deformation.
- Among all the reasons that can cause pain in the elbow joint, approximately 10% belong to arthritis. In such situations, then other joint formations are usually inflamed in a person. Pain sensations are quite strong, appear during movements, as well as at rest. The elbow becomes hot and mutates: there is a swelling, swelling, can turn very red.
- Often a companion of arthritis is ulnar bursitis. During this disease, the periarticular bag becomes inflamed, on the elbow (on its back surface), a formation filled with liquid and in shape resembling an oval can be observed. The tumor does not cause severe pain to the touch.
- Sometimes pain in the elbow joint can signal a heart condition. For example, myocardial infarction causes pain not only behind the sternum, but also spreads it to the neck, shoulder blade, abdomen, left arm, and even to the elbow. With regular such pains, it is recommended to go to a cardiologist. Also, the patient feels heaviness and contraction in the chest, turns pale, may feel dizzy and eventually lose consciousness.
- Pain in the elbow is possible with a neurological pathology resulting from squeezing in the ulnar canal of the ulnar nerve (cubital canal syndrome). It occurs due to microtrauma of bones. A person feels numbness, tingling on the skin. The pain in the elbow is felt at first during pressure on it, or if the elbow is bent for a long time. If the disease is not treated, it can come to the point that objects themselves begin to fall out of the hands and muscle atrophy develops.
Treatment of pain in the elbow joint
When there is pain in the elbow joint, treatment should be started immediately, because untimely measures taken can lead to a lot of complications.
First of all, you can relieve unpleasant sensations with painkillers, the group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is best suited for this: Nimesulide, aka Nise, aka Nimesil, Ketorol (Ketanov), Meloxicam, Diclofenac, the German analogue of Diclac, which is twice as strong as the domestic one.
Nimesulide is better to take in tablets, in fact, the ointment is much weaker than the same Diclofenac. Of the gels, Diklak is strong, he relieves inflammation more when Ketorol anesthetizes. You can also apply compresses from Dimexide (up to 3 times a day), mixing with water, with frequent use 1: 4, with rare - 1: 3. For greater anesthesia, lidocaine is allowed to be added to the compress fluid. On damaged tissues, inflammation will decrease, and the pain will go away.
Do not forget about physiotherapeutic methods: physiotherapy, therapeutic massages. The patient needs to limit movement, keep the joint in a free position.
Manual therapy will help relieve pain and relax muscles with pain in the elbow joint.
A popular method of treating pain in the elbow joint is urinotherapy, in which one uses his own urine or a boy under 12 years old. It is necessary to take a linen or cotton towel, soak it in fresh urine, put it on a sore elbow, wrap a film and cotton cloth on top, and insulate with a woolen scarf. This compress is best used before bedtime, and in the morning wipe the joint with a wet rag. Keep the elbow warm, and repeat the procedure until the pain disappears completely. Another method of compresses at night is cabbage. Her sheet is dipped in boiling water to soften, and then applied to the elbow, insulated in the same way as in the previous method with urine.
Physiology of the Elbow Joint
What is an elbow? In fact, this is a compound of the radius, humerus and ulna, enclosed in a common capsule.
It runs many tendons, vascular trunks, supplying the hand with the necessary substances. Three nerves pass. There are movable joints, without which it is impossible to rotate the elbow. The joint is attached with four ligaments. On the head, the bone is covered with hyaline cartilage.
The muscles of the flexors and extensors are responsible for the movement of the elbow:
- From the shoulder to the elbow - triceps, ulnar, brachial muscle, biceps.
- From the elbow to the wrist - brachioradial, radial flexor of the fingers, ulnar flexor, square and round pronators and others.
Cause of pain
Elbow pain does not always appear with an injury.
There are several diseases that give such pain:
- degenerative-dystrophic processes,
- changes in blood vessels, nerves,
- inflammation in the joint or near.
Pain can be different in different places.
- A hand on the inside of the elbow hurts - most likely the cause is epicondylitis and inflammation of the muscles of the forearm. Golfers and tennis players often suffer.
- Pain during flexion-extension is a sure sign of bursitis. Burning pain, with bumps, swelling, fever.
- Pain during physical exertion occurs with arthrosis.
- Pain in clenching a fist can be a symptom of osteochondrosis.
- Aching pain can signal the presence of inflammation or a malfunction of the immune system.
- Acute pain on palpation causes a bruise or other injury.
The most common cause of pain. This pathology results from trauma. The reason is excessive physical load on the joint, injuring the tendon. Often suffer from this ailment athletes and people engaged in heavy physical labor.
Epicondylitis gradually destroys the structure of the tendon, and when the load is even minimal on the elbow, pain appears. This is especially pronounced during rotational movements in the elbow.
The main symptoms of the disease:
- pain inside and outside the elbow,
- the appearance of discomfort during active movements,
- it’s hard to squeeze a heavy object in your hand,
- numb fingers and sore forearm.
Epicondylitis is an inflammatory disease, so topical ointments are used in its treatment.
Among many, we can distinguish:
In acute pain, the doctor usually prescribes a course of magnetic therapy. It is possible to treat with infrared radiation, paraffin and naphthalene applications with the subsequent application of a bandage on the elbow. This is done to consolidate the effect achieved from treatment.
The goal of therapy in inflammatory processes is to eliminate the factor causing the destructive change, stop inflammation, and reduce pain.
Bursitis is an inflammatory disease that occurs in the joint bag. With this diagnosis, a rounded neoplasm appears in the area of the elbow joint. The pain is felt even with a tactile examination, and it is quite strong. The cause of bursitis is often injuries.
The treatment in this case consists in applying cold compresses to this place, which allows you to narrow the blood vessels, reduce swelling and pain.
Anesthetics and anti-inflammatory drugs will ease the condition with pain:
In the event that the cause of bursitis lies behind an infectious disease, then a course of antibiotics is necessary. It is important to determine the causative agent of the disease, so that treatment gives a positive trend.
The disease is expressed in the gradual filling of the joint cavity with uric acid and its transformation into salts. Gout is usually the result of an abnormal lifestyle with excessive drinking and obesity.
Symptoms of the disease are obvious. Attacks of sharp pain in the elbow appear. Swelling of the ulnar region and the appearance of an egg-sized formation are possible. Often, the disease occurs at elevated temperatures and redness of the tissues.
Gout is treated primarily by diet. Its essence is to reduce the level of uric acid concentration in the joint. For this, it is forbidden to drink alcohol, fatty foods, coffee. You should drink plenty of pure water, eat vegetables and fruits, whole grains and dairy products.
In order for lactic acid to leave the joint, you need to try to keep it above the shoulder.
Ointments fight well with pain:
- Voltaren Emulgel.
If they do not bring relief, then corticosteroids injected directly into the elbow joint come to the rescue.
Uricosuric and uricodepressive drugs, exercise therapy, physiotherapy, chondroprotectors are prescribed.
This is an autoimmune disease that affects tissues. It makes itself felt sharply.
You can determine by the following signs:
- The appearance of pain in the morning, which subsides in the evening.
- Inability to straighten the arm at the elbow.
- Swelling of the joint without the presence of a hematoma.
Rheumatoid arthritis is treated comprehensively. Physiotherapy is usually prescribed. Effective laser and ultrasound exposure, electrophoresis, massage, exercise therapy.
All measures are aimed at restoring metabolic processes in the body and improving blood supply to tissues.
Drug therapy consists of anti-inflammatory drugs and analgesics. The pain subsides during therapy faster when wearing a special bandage on the elbow, or of a headscarf.
A disease that develops against the background of pinched nerve roots between ligaments or bones. With this pinching, a person experiences sharp pain and discomfort. The pain can be shooting, giving in the forearm. Strengthens at night. In addition, the fingers sometimes go numb, or they feel tingling, tingling.
It is important to try to prevent such movements in which pain appears. For this reason, the hand is fixed with a bandage. Drugs are prescribed to normalize neurohumoral regulation, analgesics, and B vitamins. In case of serious damage, surgical intervention is possible.
In the case when the cause of the disease lies in professional employment, then at the time of treatment and rehabilitation a vacation or a change of duties is necessary.
Patients suffering from tunnel syndrome, it is recommended to engage in physical therapy.
With arthrosis, a person does not experience severe pain. Discomfort, as a rule, appears with a maximum bend of the arm with subsequent straightening.
But, physical activity will cause acute pain. Often you can hear a crack in the joints when lifting weights. Over time, stiffness in movements with subsequent deformation of the bones appears.
In the treatment of arthrosis, anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed - Ortofen, Diclofenac, Voltaren. Manual therapy gives a good result. To restore the damaged joint, chondroprotectors - Ostenil, Structum and others are often prescribed.
After removing the pain symptom, it is recommended to start performing a set of exercises and regularly visit a masseur.
It can be bruises, dislocations, bone cracks, fractures. The more serious, for example, a bruise, the greater the likelihood of a hematoma in this place.
It happens after a bruise appears cyanotic skin. This indicates a hemorrhage in the subcutaneous tissue.
First aid for injuries consists in applying ice to the affected area. The goal is to stop bleeding and prevent large swelling. Limb should be immobilized before visiting a doctor. This will prevent severe pain.
Treatment begins with a diagnosis. It is important to determine if there is internal hemorrhage. This is checked by taking a puncture. With a negative result, it is enough to undergo treatment with anti-inflammatory drugs - Indomethacin, Voltaren Emulgel, Diclofenac.
If hemorrhage nevertheless occurred, then all blood clots are washed out with the help of physiological solutions, followed by the introduction of hydrocortisone into the cavity. The drug will avoid the development of osteoporosis.
If the injury is complex, then surgery will be needed.
There are many popular recipes to deal with elbow pain.
- Birch leaves are rubbedare steamed in boiling water and applied to a sore spot. The elbow is wrapped with material, a scarf on top. Compress is done for 4 hours.
- Geranium. You need to take 2 tbsp. chopped plants and pour two glasses of cold water. The mixture should stand all day, after which it is necessary to soak a piece of material in it and put it on the elbow. Cover with polyethylene and a scarf for 2 hours.
- Need poplar tree budsthat are mixed with unsalted butter and steamed in a water bath for an hour. Then the ointment should lie down in the refrigerator for a week. Then you can rub it into the joint 1 time per day until the pain stops.
- Dried violet in the amount of 1 tablespoon pour 250 g. alcohol. Insist 1 week. Then, in the tincture, you need to soak a napkin and attach it to the affected area. Cover with polyethylene and a scarf. For therapeutic purposes, 20 procedures are sufficient.
In order not to encounter the unpleasant problem of the appearance of pain in the elbow joint, it is enough to take care of yourself.
Avoid excessive physical exertion, monitor your weight, consult a doctor at the first suspicion and anxiety. An important role is played by proper nutrition, which can protect the joints from premature destruction.
It is important to consume fermented milk products, seaweed, products with gelatin, and aspic. Exclude fatty, fried, sweet, spicy foods from the diet in order to prevent the deposition of salts.
It is with them that any therapy begins. In addition to its main property - to relieve inflammation, these drugs also act as analgesics, drowning out the pain in the joint. Most often they are prescribed in tablet form, but if the patient has problems with the organs of the gastric tract, they can be replaced by injections. The most famous drugs are Diclofenac, Naklofen, Arthrosan.
They are necessary if the joint pain is very strong. Some patients try to reduce the amount of medication prescribed by the attending physician and, first of all, refuse analgesics. This is fundamentally wrong. Firstly, severe, severe pain can lead to pain shock, which is much more difficult to deal with.
Secondly, relief of pain syndromes helps reduce swelling at the site of inflammation and thereby contributes to the overall recovery and well-being of the patient. In the end, analgesics are prescribed for a very short time, and therefore will not bring much damage to health.
These hormones are used if anti-inflammatory drugs do not help, or if their effectiveness is low. Glucocorticosteroids affect the human immune system, namely, reduce its activity. This is necessary in cases where the cause of complications and inflammation itself is an incorrect response of immune cells.
Glucocorticosteroids also help reduce the concentration of inflammatory mediators - prostaglandins - in the diseased joint. Edema in the joint disappears, itching, burning and local hyperemia disappear. Unfortunately, glucocorticosteroids are just a symptomatic treatment of pain that does not have any effect on the cause of the disease. Known drugs of this group are Metipred, Diprospan.
Today they are part of the standard therapy package. These are real joint protectors that help restore its cartilage. They are practically safe. Their long-term administration, about six months, is especially effective. In the future, it is advisable to periodically, in courses, again take chondroprotectors, even if there is no pain in the elbow. In pharmacies you can find many brands of this group of drugs, the most popular are Noltrex, Teraflex, Chondroxide.
Every year, experts from all over the world find all new properties of this component. Hyaluronic acid is present in the body of every person, but over the years its level decreases. It is useful to the joints not by itself, but because of its ability to attract fluid molecules in a large volume, and it is precisely dehydration and a decrease in elasticity in the joints that are often the root cause of pain.
It is not prescribed for severe pain, when the disease is in the acute phase. If a person has severe pain in the elbow when pressed and at rest, it is better to first reduce their intensity with analgesics.
The most popular physiotherapy methods:
- Electrophoresis Exposure to electric current helps the healing components of ointments and creams penetrate deeper into the layers of the epidermis. Electrophoresis can help both relieve pain and reduce the inflammatory process, depending on the type of therapeutic agent used.
- Cryotherapy. Cold treatment helps relieve pain quickly. The impact is point on the area of the diseased joint.
- Laser Therapy Laser radiation penetrates deep into the layers of the skin and the joints underneath. Thanks to this effect, metabolic processes begin to proceed faster. Joint regeneration occurs more intensively, which reduces pain in the elbow. Magnetotherapy works in approximately the same way.
It should immediately be noted that therapeutic exercises are used only in cases where the doctor permits. For example, with epicondylitis of the elbow joint, any movements of this joint can worsen the condition of the disease and increase discomfort in the elbow, and therefore the main treatment for this diagnosis is rest for the hand.
It is based on training the function of the respiratory system and increasing lung capacity. The simplest breathing exercises are performed like this. It is necessary to inhale deeply through the nose, hold your breath, counting to 4, and then slowly exhale. Gradually, the breath holding time can be increased. It is also helpful to hold your breath as you exhale, as if interrupting this process. Such exercises are performed on an empty stomach, preferably in the morning.
Treatment of pain in the elbow with folk remedies
Not every prescription can have an effective analgesic effect. How to treat pain in each case, many patients decide by selection.
- Recipe 1. Home therapeutic ointment. To prepare it, you need to mix 50 ml of alcohol, 50 g of camphor, protein of 2 eggs and 3 tbsp. l dry mustard. The resulting composition must be thoroughly mixed until smooth. With this ointment, it is necessary to lubricate the diseased elbow, and then wrap it for a while, preferably at night. The standard course of treatment is 5 days.
- Recipe 2. Egg shell compress. To do this, crush the eggshell as small as possible and mix with sour milk. The mass should, by consistency, resemble gruel. It is applied to a sore elbow, fixed with a plastic bag and wrapped in a warm object (scarf). The compress is left in this state for 1 hour. This should be done once a day, the course of treatment is 5 days.
- Recipe 3. Clay compress. Clay must be stirred in warm water until the density of sour cream. Now it is applied to gauze folded in several layers, then the elbow is wrapped around the resulting structure and covered with heat. It is necessary to hold such a compress on the joint for two hours. For this procedure, it is better to use white or red clay. You can buy it at any cosmetic store.
- Recipe 4. Laurel oil. It is easy to cook it yourself. Laurel leaf must be carefully chopped. Five tbsp. l Such an ingredient is poured into a glass of vegetable oil, 50 ml of camphor are added there and the mass is left to infuse for a week in a dark, warm place. Laurel oil can be used for a compress, and for rubbing into the place of the patient articulation. It effectively warms the joint and relieves pain.
- Recipe 5. Propolis tincture. So, 5 g of crushed bee glue is poured into 0.5 cups of alcohol. The mass is insisted in a glass container in a dark cool place for a week. With this tincture, you need to wipe the diseased joint several times during the day, and you can also use it for compresses.
- Recipe 6. Salt baths. Three tbsp. l Pour sea salt with a liter of warm water and mix thoroughly. A sick elbow is immersed in this water. The duration of the procedure is about 40 minutes, until the water ceases to bring heat. It is advisable to conduct a salt bath before bedtime, so that after it wrap the joint with a warm thing and leave it in this position for the night. Instead of salt, you can use a strong decoction of needles.
Separate methods of treatment for some diagnoses
If the elbow joint hurts, then this may be due to local disorders of nerve conduction. In addition to drugs that normalize nervous regulation, taking vitamins of group B will be useful. In some cases, damage can only be corrected by surgery. In case of injuries, there can be only one treatment - the application of plaster or a fixing bandage for several days until complete healing.
A very important stage of such treatment is the correct fixation of the joint. Sometimes, before applying a bandage that keeps the joint in a stable state, an operation is required, for example, to remove the smallest crushed particles of bone tissue. Part of the treatment for some diseases of the elbow joint, such as bursitis, is aspiration of the joint fluid. Drainage of the contents of the synovial bag allows you to remove excess accumulated salts of uric acid and pus, which will significantly alleviate the pain syndrome.
The causes of pain in the elbow joint may be the oncological processes occurring here. As a rule, pain in this case is asymmetric, that is, it is observed only in the elbow of the left or right hand. Increased pain in the elbow when pressed. Oncologists treat such patients, and therapy is aimed at the complete elimination of the pathological process. Among the treatment methods are chemotherapy, radiation therapy. To relieve acute pain in the elbow, the patient is recommended to drink painkillers.
Correct fixation of the injured elbow can only be done by a specialist. In some cases, this process is additionally controlled by x-ray. Finally, if the elbow is ill on the inside, this may be one of the symptoms of hemophilia when, due to poor coagulation, the capillaries become weak, and as a result free blood appears in the joint. Treatment is carried out jointly with a hematologist, including puncture of blood localization and its collection, as well as taking medications to relieve inflammation in the elbow.
It is much easier to prevent pain than to fight it. That is why the basics of preventive measures should prevail over those methods that have to be used to relieve soreness. The load on the joints must be adequate, the body must not be allowed to cool, especially if the temperature drop reaches the joints.
Finally, if the elbows, forearm, or any other joint is sore, then the first thing a person should do is consult a doctor. Some types of pain, for example, from the elbow to the shoulder, can be symptoms of myocardial infarction - a very formidable condition that can lead to death. Identifying them and making the correct diagnosis is the key to success.
The main causes of pain in the elbow joint
The elbow joint is covered with synovial membrane and consists of three types of bones (ulnar, radial and humerus), the simple joints of which are connected by a common articular bag. It is fixed by ligaments, the functions of which are to organize the right direction of the elbow. The range of possible movements of the elbow joint is increased due to the combination of bone joints (brachioecum, brachioradial and proximal radiocloid), which differ in functionality and structure.
Various anatomical joints are located next to this joint:
The cause of pain can be a banal fall, during which a person gets a bruise of the elbow joint. Serious diseases (such as a fracture or a crack in the bone) are often detected with this trauma, as this joint is very sensitive to any physical or mechanical effects.
The reasons for the development of pain in the elbow joint include the following:
inflammatory processes caused by serious diseases (arthritis, gout, osteochondrosis, etc.),
weight lifting, against the background of which overload occurs, etc.
Diseases, against which there is pain in the elbow joint
Very often, pain in the elbow joint occurs against the background of the development of various diseases:
External and internal epicondylitis. With internal epicondylitis, the pain in the patient occurs even with a slight physical effect on the elbow joint. With external epicondylitis, patients develop an inflammatory process in the tendons of the muscles, through which the bones are fixed. In this category of patients, pain occurs against the background of any physical exertion exerted on the elbow joint, especially when it is bent and extended.
Bursitis. With the development of this disease, patients experience inflammation of the joint bag, which is located at the junction of the three bones of the elbow joint. The appearance of bursitis is often preceded by various injuries of falling bruises, etc. In the stage of active development of bursitis, a round neoplasm is visually determined in the patient, in the region of the ulnar process, when exposed to which a person begins to experience pain.
Inflammatory diseases, tumors, osteoarthritis, chondrocalcidosis and tendonitis. These diseases are always accompanied by pain, which is relieved by traditional medicines.
Synovial chondromatosis or dissecting osteochondritis. Against the background of the development of these diseases, mobile bone-cartilage or bone bodies can be found inside the elbow joint. They move freely throughout the joint cavity.
Charcot's neurotrophic arthropathy or hemophilia. These diseases are quite rare, but their main symptomatology is severe pain.
Diffuse fasciitis. During the progression of this disease in patients, in addition to the pain syndrome, a violation of the mobility of the elbow joint is observed. The main symptoms of this disease include changes that occur with the skin in the area of the inner surface of the shoulders and forearms.
Infringement of the nerve bases (often observed with intervertebral hernias or osteochondrosis). In almost all patients who have been diagnosed with infringement of the nerve roots, there is a violation of the mobility of the elbow joint. This condition can be caused by atrophy of the biceps muscle and requires long-term treatment.
Dislocations of the elbow joint (posterior, lateral and anterior). Dislocation can be the result of any trauma: fall, bruise, shock. Sometimes fractures are detected in patients (with dislocations), during the treatment of which gypsum is applied for a certain time, and pain medications are prescribed. With severe injuries of the elbow joint, patients may experience tendon ruptures, due to which the biceps of the shoulder cannot function normally.
Diagnosis of diseases causing ulnar pain
The appearance of pain in the elbow joint should alert the person. Pain can be a characteristic symptom of various diseases, which can be detected by a highly qualified specialist after serious diagnostic measures.
If the patient does not know whom to ask for help, he can go to a medical institution to his local doctor, who after examination will redirect him to a narrow-profile specialist:
to a rheumatologist (reveals various rheumatic lesions),
to a traumatologist (deals with injuries, fractures, sprains, dislocations, bruises),
neurologist (treats various nervous conditions, muscle damage and other diseases of the nervous system).
The patient begins with a personal examination (the doctor palpates the area of the elbow joint without fail), after which the specialist begins collecting an anamnesis of the disease.
Before making a diagnosis, the patient is assigned an additional hardware examination:
ultrasound examination of the joints of the elbow,
magnetic resonance imaging, etc.
Without fail, the patient is sent to the laboratory, where he will have to pass the following tests:
clinical blood test,
general urine analysis,
The results of the tests will reveal such dangerous diseases as gout, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. If the doctor has doubts about the diagnosis, he can prescribe a surgical procedure for his patient during which a puncture will be taken. After evaluating its contents, it will be possible to determine whether degenerative changes exist in the cartilage and select the most effective therapeutic technique.
Eliminating the patient from pain in the elbow joint
Due to the fact that when contacting any of the specialists (traumatologist, rheumatologist or neurologist), patients experience strong pain, they are primarily assigned:
modifiers and sleeping pills.
For first aid, tablets are often used, such as nalgesin, etc.Some patients do not tolerate oral medications, so they are prescribed ointments and gels that relieve pain well. Each drug should be prescribed by a doctor, since any self-medication can lead to serious consequences.
After the patient has been relieved of pain, the specialist proceeds to the treatment of the disease, which was diagnosed with a comprehensive examination. In the treatment of diseases in which inflammation of the joints occurs, the doctor prescribes anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, diclofenac, etc. Since all modern medicines have both positive and negative effects, the doctor prescribes them individually, taking into account all the features of his body the patient.
In the event that the patient has a number of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, the attending physician replaces the tablet preparations with injections. Most often, patients are given injections with hyaluronic acid, which is a substance produced by healthy joints. Also, experts prescribe injections for their patients, for which corticosteroid drugs are used, as well as anesthetics. A short course of such treatment effectively relieves even a very strong pain syndrome.
A great effect in the treatment of diseases of the elbow joint is achieved after a course of physiotherapeutic procedures.
Depending on the type of disease and its degree of development, patients may be prescribed:
In most cases, patients are prescribed a course of physiotherapy procedures, which can consist of at least 10 sessions. Sometimes physiotherapists develop individual programs for patients, taking into account their general condition and tolerability of certain drugs. A good effect can be achieved by using healing heat and cold, as well as massage. The use of cold and hot compresses will restore the mobility of the elbow joint, as well as relieve the patient from pain.
Proper use of heat and cold will have a positive effect on the elbow joint and:
reduce the inflammatory process,
will increase blood circulation, etc.
When undergoing treatment therapy, each patient should regularly give physical activity to the elbow joint. Properly done exercises will gradually increase the strength of the joint and its flexibility.
Regular exercise will be of great help to patients:
significantly reduce pain
improve the general condition of the body,
will keep your muscles toned, etc.
If the patient experiences severe pain, he needs to provide bed rest. Many experts recommend conducting psychological trainings that will teach people to cope with pain on their own, mobilizing the body's internal reserves. You can attend group sessions in which patients learn to meditate.
Alternative methods of treating pain in the elbow joint
In folk medicine, there are a large number of recipes that help people get rid of pain in the elbow joint. Everyone at home can prepare various tinctures, the main component of which is propolis. A good result is achieved when using tincture of elecampane, which can be purchased ready-made, or can be made independently. With such fluids, the elbow area should be lubricated, compresses can be applied, the functions of which are to relieve swelling and pain.
You can get rid of pain in the elbow joint with laurel oil, which has a warming effect. This traditional medicine can be used both for rubbing into the skin, and for compresses. You can also try to get rid of pain through another folk technique - ice treatment. To prepare medical ice cubes, it is necessary to brew green tea, strain it and pour it in tins, which should be sent to the freezer for several hours. Wrap finished cubes in a cloth and apply to a sore spot.
Massage of the elbow joint can significantly improve the patient's condition, relieve swelling and restore mobility. Pain will disappear after a full course of massage, in which natural honey is used instead of oil.
To remove inflammation in the elbow joint, you can use the baths, for which the following components are used:
Fresh pine cones
pine branches and needles.
Compresses relieve pain in the elbow joint very well. For them, it is recommended to use:
The structure of the elbow joint
So, his anatomy is not so simple. The left or right elbow includes several joints: brachioradial, brachioecum, proximal radiocarbonis. Together, they create a complex mechanism.
Flexion and extension of the elbow joint provide muscle. They are attached to the joint using tendons. To fix the joint bag are 4 ligaments. The structure of this “mechanism” includes blood vessels that provide blood flow and outflow, as well as lymph nodes. Also in the elbow there is a network of nerves, through which it is innervated.
Elbow pain: causes
Both left and right elbows can hurt. Moreover, the reasons are completely different. Naturally, to begin to treat this pathological condition, you need to consider them in more detail. The reason for the development of pain in the elbow joint is:
- Shock, bruise, microtrauma due to improper flexion or extension of the arm, increased load (carrying heavy bags).
- Violation of local blood circulation. Here, the cause of the pathology is the compression of blood vessels, both small and large.
- Age-related degenerative changes in cartilage, as well as premature wear of tissues, provoked by inflammatory processes in the synovial bag.
- Epicondylitis (it happens external and internal) - inflammation of the ligaments of the elbow joint. This reason is the most common. This disease causes pain after performing physical exercises, wearing weights, prolonged similar rotation of the arm to the right or left side. The load leads to microtrauma of the ligaments. At rest, discomfort does not occur.
- Cervical osteochondrosis. The appearance of the elbow in this case practically does not change. At the same time, not only the joint can hurt, discomfort spreads to the entire right or left hand. The intensification of pain occurs due to hypothermia. In addition, the hand may become numb.
- Arthrosis This disease is characterized not only by pain. When flexing or extending the elbow joint, a crunch is heard. If treatment has not been prescribed, then the joint is deformed and outwardly modified.
- Arthritis. This pathology does not develop independently. Basically, it has a systemic character. In addition to the pain that the patient feels, he has redness on the outer or inner side of the joint, he becomes swollen.
- Bursitis (synovial bag disease).
Pain in the elbow joint is also provoked by some cardiovascular or neurogenic pathologies:
- Inflammatory pathology of nerve roots. It occurs due to trauma to the joint.
- Cubital Channel Syndrome. It is due to a genetic predisposition or congenital anatomy of the elbow.
- Myocardial infarction. This pathological condition provokes pain in the joint, its numbness.
- Oncological and systemic pathologies.
Injuries can also provoke pain in this area: dislocations, fractures, bruises. Sometimes the elbow can hurt due to damage to internal organs, so you need to pay attention to the slightest disturbances in the joint.
The causes of the disease will be described in more detail by a rheumatologist and psychophysiologist, academician of RAMTS Evdokimenko Pavel Valerievich:
Classification of pain and features of their manifestation
It can be done depending on the location of the discomfort and the time of its occurrence:
- When bent, it appears due to deforming arthrosis, bursitis, arthritis, trauma or a pathological neoplasm. This type of pain causes medial epicondylitis, tendon rupture.
- When extension, the elbow hurts due to all of the above pathologies, as well as osteoarthritis, lateral epicondylitis. In this case, a person is not able to hold an object on an outstretched arm, to compress a brush into a fist.
- On the inside, the pain appears due to again medial epicondylitis, bruise or other traumatic injuries.
- Because of the workout. Here the cause of the development of unpleasant sensations is considered an injury or strong muscle tension. Incorrect exercise also provokes discomfort.
- The appearance of discomfort during a handshake may indicate a serious injury to the elbow joint.
- If the indicated part of the arm begins to hurt after lifting, it means that a person develops subacute epicondylitis.
- At rest, the pathology can develop due to inflammatory or degenerative diseases of the joint.
- If the elbow hurts the child, then he is likely to be injured. In addition, such a symptom indicates the development of reactive arthritis provoked by viral or bacterial infections. If such a pathology occurs in a child, in no case should you start it, as this can lead to significant health problems in the future.
You can also classify pain according to the nature of their manifestation:
- Reflected. They appear due to damage to internal organs or other parts of the body. There are no external changes in the elbow.
- Projected. Their cause is considered an injury or compression of the spinal canal.
- Neuropathic. Here the pain can be severe, accompanied by a burning and tingling sensation.
- Spicy. They are characteristic of a serious injury to the elbow joint: fracture, sprain, rupture of ligaments. Acute pain also accompanies reactive and rheumatoid arthritis, bursitis.
- Burning. The cause of this condition is inflammation of the nerves, gout.
- Aching and dumb. Arthrosis, and even malignancy, provokes such sensations.
- Sharp (provoked by injury).
- Permanent. They appear due to the development of serious diseases of the supporting system.
As you can see, it is impossible to immediately determine which pathology caused pain in the elbow joint. To do this, you should immediately contact a doctor (orthopedist, traumatologist, neurologist, therapist, rheumatologist) and undergo a thorough examination.
Features of the diagnosis of pathology
Examination of the patient involves the use of the following procedures:
- Conversations of the doctor with the patient, during which the place of localization of pain sensations, their nature, time when they manifest themselves most strongly are found out. Also, the specialist is trying to find out what triggered the pain.
- External examination and palpation of the affected left or right elbow. During this procedure, the doctor can detect changes in the structure of the joint.
- X-ray (prescribed in case of injury or suspected development of a degenerative disease).
- Neurological tests.
- CT or MRI. Such procedures are more often recommended if a malignant tumor is suspected (a lump has appeared in the joint area), osteochondrosis.
Which diagnostic procedure of the two is better to choose and what is the difference between them says an experienced neurologist Mikhail Moiseevich Sperling:
- A general blood test that can confirm or refute the presence of an inflammatory process in the body.
- ECG. A cardiogram is prescribed if the patient has a burning pain in the elbow.
- Ultrasound of the elbow.
- Specific tests.
- Rheumatic tests.
Such a comprehensive examination of the left or right elbow joint will help determine why it hurts, what kind of load is allowed on it, what treatment will be most effective.
Even “neglected” joint problems can be cured at home! Just remember to smear it once a day.
Elbow pain: first aid
It is necessary to treat this pathology by consulting with a doctor. However, if an urgent visit to the clinic fails, you can provide first aid to the victim. If the patient received an injury to the elbow, damage to muscles or bones, the following actions must be performed:
- Fully remove the entire load from the injured (left or right) hand and immobilize it. To eliminate severe pain, you can put a cold compress on the joint. If the elbow is too swollen, then this procedure will help reduce swelling.
- Since the elbow joint hurts very badly when injured, the patient may need painkillers: Ibuprofen, Voltaren. The use of ointments with anesthetic effect is allowed.
If a crunch is heard after falling or hitting the elbow, this may indicate a fracture of the bone. It is not possible to cure such damage on your own, so you need to urgently contact traumatology.
If the patient cannot squeeze his hand into a fist, when moving, his elbow begins to crackle, and a bump appears on the side (left or right), which hurts greatly, then he should not delay the treatment.
Depending on what pathology provoked the pathological condition, such medications are prescribed to a person:
- NSAIDs in the form of tablets or steroid injections: "Colchicine." They allow you to eliminate pain and reduce the intensity of the inflammatory process. If the patient’s elbow hurts greatly due to gout, then the diuretic Allopurinol is also prescribed.
- Chondroprotectors: Arthra, Chondroitin. They are used to treat damage to the cartilage of the joints.
- B vitamins: Milgamma. They help fight the neurological causes of pain.
- Local warming and analgesic ointments: Voltaren, Fastum-gel.
- Antibacterial drugs to eliminate signs of purulent arthritis and bursitis. They are prescribed to the patient in the form of injections.
- Vasodilator drugs that help restore blood circulation in the joint.
- Muscle relaxants to eliminate muscle spasms.
Drug therapy is only part of a comprehensive treatment. It is supplemented by other ways and methods of combating pathology.
Non-drug treatment of pain
If the bend of the arm and clenching of the fist is difficult for the patient, the elbow begins to crackle, hurt and even become numb, here you can use the following methods to restore the functionality of the joint:
- Reducing the load on the left or right elbow joint using orthopedic devices: orthoses, bandages.
- Physiotherapeutic procedures: UHF, electrophoresis with dimexide, laser and magnetic therapy, mud or paraffin baths, ozokerite.
- Aspiration of articular fluid, as well as drainage of the synovial bag (if fluid accumulates inside it).
You can see how the drainage procedure goes in this video:
- Shock wave therapy.
- Professional massage using therapeutic ointment.
- Physiotherapy exercises, manual therapy, as well as radiological treatment.
- Simple medical training.
In the most extreme cases, treatment of pain in the elbow is allowed with surgery. It provides for the replacement of a bone damaged during an injury, the removal of its fragments. If the elbow hurts severely, the patient will be shown bed rest.The joint at that time can be enclosed in plaster. Despite the fact that some dystrophic diseases cannot be completely cured, the fight against them must be continued.
Elbow pain: treatment with folk remedies
Despite the fact that pain is localized in the inner part of the joint, from the side or from above, it must be treated in any case. For this, in combination with other methods of therapy, folk remedies can be used. If clenching a fist or bending a hand is difficult, recipes like these will be helpful:
- Fresh leaves of cabbage or burdock will help eliminate puffiness. They need to be slightly beaten with a hammer and tied to the affected elbow for the night. It is necessary to treat a sick elbow in this way until the unpleasant sensations subside.
- The skin around the affected joint can be smeared and rubbed with alcohol tinctures of mustard, honey or turpentine. In some cases, the patient may have a burning sensation. If it is strongly expressed, then it is better to abandon the use of such funds.
- Eliminate pain and numbness of the elbow will allow the application with clay. The raw materials must be heated to 45 degrees, treated with vodka, and then put gauze and a layer of clay on it (1 cm). To improve the effect, wrap the wrap with a woolen cloth. It lasts only an hour, however, several such procedures will help improve fist compression and get rid of pain. Perhaps the hand will stop numb.
- Compress with warm sea salt. Its temperature should be 65 degrees.
- Laurel oil with a warming effect. They need to be smeared with skin directly above the affected joint.
- If the elbow hurts, overcoming the discomfort will help such a folk remedy as fresh celery juice, which can be rubbed into the joint or taken orally. Treatment is carried out for 14 days.
Folk remedies, as well as drugs, can not completely cure systemic or degenerative diseases of the supporting apparatus. However, they help to significantly improve the life of the patient.
Elena Malysheva gives excellent tips on what to do with bruises in the area of interest to us:
In order for the compression of the fingers to proceed normally, the training did not cause discomfort, and when the elbow is bent, it does not go numb, it is necessary to timely eliminate all those factors that can provoke a pathological condition. Here prevention plays a huge role. It provides for the following rules:
- Athletes or people performing complex work are required to perform daily therapeutic exercises to bend and extend the joint.
- You should not rely on the elbow for a long time while working at the computer, reading books. This provokes cubital channel syndrome.
- It is important to eat right.
- It is advisable to prevent any injuries of the elbow joint.
- It is necessary to avoid hypothermia, visit saunas or baths.
- To carry out fast and effective treatment of all inflammatory and infectious processes in the body.
- If you feel numbness in your hand, you need to urgently contact a neurologist.
Anyway, if an elbow hurts, a person cannot fully work, rest. It is advisable to avoid all those factors that can provoke such a pathological condition. An active and proper lifestyle is the main method of preventing disease.
Useful information about gymnastics is told by a rheumatologist and psychophysiologist, academician of RAMTS Evdokimenko Pavel Valerievich: