Simple rules of first aid and symptoms in which you need to run to the doctor.
Shooting pain in the ear is a short phenomenon, but due to the intensity it is memorable. And it is right. The fact is that the backache is not necessarily associated with the ear. They can be symptoms of many extremely unpleasant diseases. With severe pain, the body draws your attention to a possible danger.
3. Starting otitis media
Shooting pain in the ear is a particular symptom of an Ear infection Understanding Ear Infection - Symptoms, such as otitis media. This unpleasant disease is fraught with hearing loss and the development of serious complications. Therefore, at the slightest suspicion of otitis media, you must immediately consult a doctor. Especially when it comes to babies up to two years.
4. Caries, dental abscess, or gum disease
WebMD Medical Magazine Names Why Does My Ear Hurt? oral problems are one of the possible causes of ear pain. The fact is that the nerve endings in the head are closely connected with each other and the pain felt in one area (for example, in an inflamed tooth root) is often projected somewhere else.
When to see a doctor
The above is not a complete list of the reasons why it shoots in the ear. In some cases, the start of pain is given by:
- Inflammation of the scalp after an unsuccessful piercing.
- Arthritis or trauma to the jaw joint.
- Inflammation of the brain is meningitis.
- All kinds of intracranial tumors.
These diseases can be extremely dangerous. Therefore, if it shoots in the ear for more than 24 hours, you need to visit the ENT specialist as soon as possible. Other symptoms requiring an urgent visit to the doctor are Earache:
- The appearance of dizziness, headache, swelling around the ear, facial muscle weakness.
- High fever (a sign of a developing inflammatory process).
- A sharp, prolonged pain in the ear that suddenly stopped (this may be a symptom of a ruptured eardrum).
3. Drop in ear drops from plugs or liquid oil
The composition of pharmacy drops from plugs includes substances that help soften and remove sulfur plugs (for example, allantoin). Camphor or petrolatum oil, heated in a water bath to body temperature, have the same sulfur-softening effect.
Pharmaceutical drops use in accordance with the instructions. Bury the oil in 2-3 drops (if necessary, repeat after 6-8 hours).
4. Use anti-inflammatory ear drops, peroxide or alcohol solutions
They will help if the pain is caused by infection in the external auditory canal. This happens, for example, when swimming in an open reservoir or in the presence of the smallest wounds and scratches in the ear canal. This ear pain is usually not accompanied by fever.
The composition of pharmacy drops includes analgesics and antiseptics (for example, lidocaine and phenazone), which relieve pain and fight inflammation.
Hydrogen peroxide or alcohol solutions have a similar antiseptic effect: tincture of calendula, chamomile. If none of the above funds are at hand, you can use vodka.
Pharmacy drops use according to the instructions. Peroxide and alcohol solutions instill 2-3 drops. If necessary, the procedure can be repeated after 6-8 hours.
Causes of shooting
The ear consists of three zones: external, middle and internal, and in any of them lumbago can begin. Since these are different zones, the causes of lumbago can also be different. In the outer ear:
- Eczema - more is located around the ear canal, it may be a reaction to a chemical or allergenic irritant. But it can also arise from purulent discharge. In addition, the skin peels and itching appears, swelling occurs and vesicles can form.
- Cellulitis - the patient has a densification on the auricle, soft tissues swell, shooting pain appears. This often occurs in an acute form, due to trauma to the auricle or erosion. The infection enters the body through damage to the inflamed skin in the ear. To reduce the risk of complications, do not treat yourself, but immediately consult a doctor.
- External otitis media - occurs after trauma to the ears of the ear canals, when water, allergies and inflammation get into them. The most common cause is improper cleaning. With external otitis media, the ear shoots, redness, itching and swelling appear, and with severe forms, purulent discharge can go. In this case, the disease can reach hearing loss, so you should definitely see a doctor.
Otitis media is more common in babies up to the age of two due to weak immunity. The pain intensifies when the baby is chewing, these problems begin in the cold seasons. And also otitis media can occur due to colds. Mucus, along with infection when sneezing or blowing your nose, enters the middle ear and begins to develop. With this disease, fluid accumulates and it constantly presses on the eardrum, inflammation occurs. If treatment is not started on time, the membrane may burst. At first, this will be a relief for the patient, but gradually the hearing will disappear.
Manifestation of mastoiditis
The inflammatory process located in the mastoid process. It manifests itself after untreated otitis media two to three weeks after the onset of the disease. Symptoms: high fever, appetite disappears, shoots in the ear and gives to the head, so it constantly hurts. Do you have mastoiditis can be checked by clicking on the mastoid with your finger. With a disease, the skin turns red and begins to swell, pain appears. It is necessary to consult a doctor and get the necessary treatment, because a complication may arise: facial paralysis, meningitis or suppuration behind the ear.
The mucus in the middle ear cavity normally escapes through the Eustachian tube. If the exudate for some reason does not go away, but accumulates, then there is pain in the ears and starts to shoot.
Inner ear disease
This part of the body is responsible for hearing, supports tone and a sense of balance. With a disease in a person, coordination is disturbed and problems with the vestibular apparatus appear. Why does the ear shoot? Perhaps the reasons lie in the diseases:
- Labyrinthitis - A virus enters the body, which can penetrate the inner ear before birth. Appears after infectious diseases: flu, chickenpox, mumps and measles. The patient appears dizzy, tinnitus, hearing loss may occur. Treatment without a specialist is impossible.
- Walks on the street. When going out, be sure to dress according to the weather, do not forget about the headgear so that the ears are closed and they are not pouted. Otherwise, you can catch a cold and get otitis media, and it can develop not only in the outer ear, but also deeper.
- Caries. The teeth are located very close to the organs of hearing and from the poor condition of the teeth can shoot in the ear. Decide which doctor you should see: otolaryngologist or dentist?
- Facial neuritis. If you froze the facial nerve, then there is a sudden sharp pain when brushing your teeth or chewing. So you need to contact a neurologist.
There are many reasons and you can’t do without the help of a specialist. If initially you will be disturbed by discomfort, then this can result in serious complications. Such diseases are especially dangerous for young children. Do not risk children's health and do not treat them at home.
What to do if it shoots in the ear and the pain appeared on the weekend or at night?
- Otitis. Press lightly on the ear where the mastoid is located. If the pain becomes stronger, then you have otitis media and you need a doctor, he will prescribe medications and antibiotics. At home, only external otitis can be warmed up. An alcohol, boric, camphor compress is placed or applied to warm the salt sac.
- Pain with neuritis of the facial nerve. The fight should be not only with tinnitus, but also a neurological disease. The doctor prescribes medication and other medical therapy to get rid of neuralgia.
- When the nerve is pinched, backache can also begin. This can occur when flying on an airplane or while swimming. It is necessary to find out the reason, because in certain cases this discomfort goes away on its own. But if itching occurs with this sensation, then you must definitely consult a specialist and treat it.
- If there is a problem from caries, then consult your dentist for help. And at home, make a rinse: for 200 ml of water, take 3 drops of iodine and a teaspoon of soda.
- If you shoot at pressure drops, like in an airplane, then, as you feel the attack, open your mouth. Or swallow saliva as often as possible, make chewing movements or yawn with your mouth wide open.
- Water became the cause of the shooting. Do not remove water with a cotton swab, because it can cause an inflammatory process. The stick touches the surface layers of the epidermis and removes them, bacteria penetrate the body more easily. To get rid of water, stand on one leg, tilt your head to the laid side and jump. If you cannot do this, then lie on your side and wait for the liquid to come out.
Ear cleaning is carried out with hydrogen peroxide, vinegar or 40% alcohol-containing solution. Drop a few drops and wait until the dirt comes out.
Diseases and related symptoms
Unpleasant sensations in the left or right ear occur when important auditory organs (hammer, snail, eardrum, etc.) become inflamed or injured. ENT specialists identify a number of diseases that contribute to the appearance of shooting ear pain:
- External otitis media (inflammation of the tissues of the external auditory canal). The disease is characterized by itching, redness of the skin of the auricle, the presence of pus and, in severe cases, swelling of the ear canal.
- Otitis media. Pathology is inflammation of the middle ear caused by acute bacterial infections. Typical symptoms: unbearable pain, high body temperature, the presence of transparent or purulent discharge from the ear canal, migraine (how to relieve pain).
- Cellulite It is an infectious disease, accompanied by redness and tightening of the skin of the auricle (including with an allergic rash).
- Mastoiditis (inflammation of the mastoid process). In addition to shooting pain, a person experiences loss of appetite and suffers from insomnia, while his body temperature rises. Other signs: noise in the head, discharge of pus from the ear, hearing loss, general weakness, throbbing pain behind the auricle, which occurs when pressure is applied.
- Labyrinthitis Infectious and inflammatory disease of the inner ear (or rather, the membranous labyrinth), accompanied by symptoms such as shooting pain and tinnitus, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, hearing loss, imbalance, etc.
- Facial neuritis (inflammation of the facial nerve). The disease is characterized by acute bouts of pain, which last an average of 2 minutes, and the presence of asymmetry in one half of the face. Distinctive feature: pain resembles an electric shock.
- Angina. Characteristic signs: sore throat, the presence of lumbago in the ear when swallowing, fever, etc.
- Caries of extreme teeth. The patient experiences a throbbing ear pain (especially at night) and complains of lumbago under the ear, in the temples and neck.
If shoots in the left ear or in the right (it is important that in one of the two), then this may be a sign of inflammation of the maxillary sinus. Concomitant symptoms: severe pain and congestion in the ear, purulent discharge, hearing loss and migraine.
Shooting pain is not always a sign of ear pathologies. In some cases, it can be caused by external factors. So, other reasons include:
- Pool. During bathing, drops of water penetrate the auricle, causing nasal congestion and backache, but there is no pain. If this happens, do not shake your head and engage in active physical activities. The only thing to do is sit down and calm downtaking a comfortable body position. After some time (an average of 15-30 minutes), the liquid will independently leak out. Next, the ear should be wiped dry with a towel.
- After a hit, a fight. Traumatic injuries are one of the main causes of shooting pain, which pose a serious danger to the victim. The first thing to do in this case - take pain medication (No-shpu, Nise, Ketorol, Ibuprofen, etc.) and consult an ENT specialist to find out the causes of pain, since the resulting injury can lead to serious consequences (especially if the pain gives to the head).
- Windy walk. Hiking in cool windy weather (moreover, without a headgear) can cause lumbago in the ears. And the longer a person delays with treatment, the more painful the sensations become. In this case warm clothing recommended and use ear drops (Otipaks, Sofradeks, etc.). Method of application: slightly tilt your head to one side and drop 3-4 drops of this or that drug into a sore ear.
- Flight. Atmospheric pressure (both during flight and during airplane landing) does not coincide with pressure in the tympanic cavity - this is one of the main causes of lumbago and pain. At the same time, the negative effect may increase if, on the eve of departure, a person has experienced stress or has recently had the flu or SARS with a runny nose. To get rid of the pain, you need to perform a special exercise: place the index fingers in the ear canals and move them back and forth and from top to bottom. In this case, it is useful to massage the lobes and auricles. If there is no result, take an anesthetic tablet (Nise, Ibuprofen, Drotaverin, etc.).
- After tooth extraction. Lumbago in the ear after tooth extraction - occur due to the reaction of the body to external intervention, since damaged tissues and nerve endings need some time to recover. And the pain is so strong that it can give in the ear. In the first days after the procedure patients are recommended to take painkillers (No-shpu, Nise, etc.) and rinse with herbal decoctions (chamomile, sage, oak bark, etc.). If the pain does not leave within 4-5 days, it is necessary to consult a dentist, since an inflammatory process is likely.
- After the drops. After using the drops, it can shoot in the ear due to temporary blocking of the ear canal with the drug, as a result of swelling of the sulfur plug, with an allergic reaction to the components in the drops. To get rid of discomfort, you need to lie on your back and lie down like this for a while or jump, bending your head. If after a few hours the pain does not stop, you need to see a doctor.
- While chewing. Ear pain during chewing occurs due to muscle tension and parotid ligaments. Another reason is dental problems and diseases of the ENT organs. To relieve discomfort in a sore ear you need drip Otipax or Anauran drops.
- After cleaning. In the process of cleaning the ears with cotton buds, skin inside the organ or eardrum can be injured. Solution method: instill a few drops of sea buckthorn oil into the ear canal.
Regardless of the cause of the pain, self-medication is not recommended. After first aid, the patient should consult a doctor.
Anti-inflammatory drops for lumbago
With lumbago, an ear can be anesthetized with anti-inflammatory drops:
- Otipax - the drug has an analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect, eliminating the symptoms, but not eliminating the cause of the disorder. Method of application: 3-4 drops in the external auditory meatus 2-3 times a day. The course of treatment: 10 days. Price: 290 rubles (15 ml).
- Otinum - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug with antimicrobial and antifungal effects. Method of application: 3 drops in the ear canal 3-4 times a day. The course of therapy: no more than 10 days. Price: 220 rubles (10 ml).
- Polydex - the drug has an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effect, it is used for external otitis media and in case of damage to the eardrum. Method of application: 1-5 drops in the ear canal of each ear (2-3 times a day). Duration of therapy: 6-10 days. Price: 250 rubles (10.5 ml).
An ENT specialist will help you choose an individual dosage and course of treatment.
In addition to drug treatment, patients are shown warming ear compresses based on alcohol or camphor oil. To prepare them you will need:
- Camphor Compress - in the center of the gauze napkin, a hole is cut out into which the ear could fit. Then they impregnate the napkin with camphor oil, squeeze it and put it on the sore ear, passing it through the hole. At the end, they put cotton and fix the compress with a bandage. The compress is replaced every hour (but can be set all night).
- Alcohol compress - 20-25% alcohol is diluted with water (1: 1) and a gauze towel is moistened in it, then a compress is placed on the ear in the same way as described above and held for 30-40 minutes.
Before applying an alcohol compress, the skin around the ear is pre-lubricated with a greasy cream (so as not to cause a burn). If the patient's body temperature is above normal, then any warming compresses are contraindicated.
Shoots in the child’s ear
Shooting pain happens not only in adults, but also in children. Common causes: ingestion of small foreign objects or water after bathing in the pool, as well as inflammatory processes of ENT organs against a cold. And in such cases, it is important to know how to provide the child with first aid and what actions should be avoided.
Why shoots in the ear
During otitis media or with inflammation of the outer and middle ear, as a rule, there is a shooting pain in the ear. Also, the cause of lumbago can be acute inflammation of the Eustachian tube, which arose against the background of laryngitis, tonsillitis, or SARS. If there is an injury to the ear canal or eardrum, in some cases, patients may experience a sensation of shooting in the ear cavity.
On the right side
The ear shoots on the right side when the otitis externa or otitis media begins, or if water (foreign body) enters the ear canal or inner ear. In addition, the cause of inflammation, accompanied by lumbago, may be damage caused by an ear stick during deep cleaning. It is urgent to consult an otolaryngologist if the shooting process in the ear is accompanied by secretions of mucus or pus, acute or aching pain, or an increase in body temperature.
From the left side
Purulent inflammation of the middle or inner ear, accompanied by a feeling of stuffiness and noise may be one of the reasons if the ear shoots from the left side. Prolonged exposure to a strong wind or draft, excess earwax, severe allergic reaction or mechanical damage, bacterial mumps or eczema also cause ear lumbago. It is extremely difficult to establish the exact cause of the condition on your own, therefore, if a symptom occurs, you must visit a doctor.
A sharp pain in the ear, accompanied by a shooting sensation, indicates the presence of an inflammatory process and swelling. In most cases, the complex of these symptoms indicates the development of otitis media. This serious illness often occurs amid colds in the cold season, due to excess mucus in the nasopharynx through the Eustachian tube entering the middle ear. The accumulation of fluid causes inflammation of the eardrum, the inability to exit and causes a sensation that it shoots in the ear.
In the absence of pain in the ears, but maintaining a sense of periodic lumbago, the causes may be mechanical in nature. Water entering the ear canals during bathing or swimming can cause the ears to shoot. If an insect or other foreign body enters the middle ear, an excess of earwax with insufficient hygiene of the ear cavity may not cause pain and be accompanied by regular backache.
Lumbago in the ear when swallowed often indicates the development of an inflammatory disease of the nasopharynx, for example, tonsillitis or sinusitis. It can also shoot in the ear when swallowing lymph nodes during inflammation, when caries of the molars (back teeth) are launched, or gum inflammation after their removal. The norm is ear lumbago during air flights, due to sudden changes in pressure when climbing or when it is lost.
Blowing your nose
Shooting in the ear during the blowing process occurs due to the fact that part of the pressure arising at that moment in the nasopharynx is transmitted through the Eustachian tube to the eardrum. During inflammation in the nasopharynx, part of the mucus can enter the middle ear, with pain and a feeling of stuffiness in the ear canal, accompanied by partial hearing loss. To avoid aggravation of the condition and the development of otitis media, it is necessary to report the reactions to the attending physician.
Shoots in the ear and gives to the head
The pain in the ear gives to the head with damage to the nerve endings located next to the hearing aid. It shoots in the ears, as a rule, with facial neuritis, with inflammation of the trigeminal or large auricular nerve (during inflammation of the cervical lymph nodes), glossopharyngeal nerve during inflammation of the larynx. Middle and internal otitis media, accompanied by inflammation of the mastoid process, also occur with severe headaches in the backache.
How to treat an ear when shooting
Methods and treatment regimens for conditions in which it shoots in the ears depend on the specific diagnosis, the clinical picture of the disease, the age and individual characteristics of the patient (age, medical history). General recommendations for diseases of the middle and inner ear or concomitant conditions are as follows:
- Inflammation of the middle ear: warming compresses, physiotherapeutic procedures, rinsing with antiseptic solutions. Antibacterial drug therapy. In some cases, pus is removed through a puncture in the eardrum.
- Aerootitis (with rupture of the eardrum): antibiotic therapy, tampons with antiseptics, instillation of vasoconstrictive drops in the nose, taking painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Petrozit: conservative treatment with antibiotics or surgery by opening the mastoid process to remove pus and dead tissue.
- Mastoiditis: taking antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs, physiotherapeutic procedures. Warm compresses on the mastoid process at night.
- Meringitis: flushing the ear canal with disinfectant solutions and antibiotic therapy.
- Ear injury: rinsing with a disinfectant or antiseptic, sterile tampons with boric alcohol, in some cases taking antibiotics or anti-inflammatory drugs.
In diseases accompanied by inflammation and edema (otitis of the outer and middle ear), antibiotic therapy is carried out in the form of intramuscular injections. An important role in the complex treatment is played by physiotherapeutic procedures, dehydration therapy. With inflammation of the inner ear, the patient is prescribed bed rest. Mechanical or acoustic injuries, ingestion of foreign bodies, and other causes that are not of an infectious nature are usually treated with local therapy (rinsing, laying turundas with a drug).
Treatment in a child
In diseases of the ear or nasopharynx in children, accompanied by shooting in the ears, treatment is carried out strictly in accordance with the recommendations of a specialist. If necessary, antibiotics in the form of ear drops can be prescribed, with external otitis, rinsing with antiseptic solutions and heating of the external auditory canal are mandatory. Before giving the child painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs, be sure to make sure that the drug is suitable for children of this age and specify the dosage.
The decision about which medications and in what form should be used in each case is made by the attending physician. To combat infectious infection, antibiotics of a broad or special action (Amoxicillin, Levomycetin, Augmentin) are prescribed, in the form of tablets, injections or ear drops (for example, Otof, Normax, Anauran), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Diclofenac, Indomethacin).
Shooting pain in the ear cavity is also removed with the help of folk remedies. Their use must also be agreed with the attending physician so as not to cause a negative reaction and not to reduce the effectiveness of drug therapy. With shooting sensations in the ear canals, you can use the following means:
- Propolis tincture: placed in the ear canal on a cotton-gauze swab once a day for 30-40 minutes. The duration of treatment may not exceed 14 days. Relieves swelling and inflammation, reduces pain.
- Lemon juice: instill 2-3 times a day for 3-4 drops for 5 days.
- Garlic oil: 150 mg of chopped garlic are poured with vegetable oil (60 mg), infused in the refrigerator for 10 days. They put it in a sore ear on a cotton turund soaked in the obtained oil into the external auditory meatus for 14-16 days three times a day.
One of the most common causes of shooting pain in the ear is otitis media.. This is an inflammatory process in one of the departments of the organ of hearing (internal, secondary or external). Pathology is accompanied by fever, severe headache and ear pain.
Otitis media of the inner ear is also called labyrinthitis. This is the most dangerous disease that leads to shooting pains in the ear and head. It can be diagnosed even in a newborn if, during the first trimester of pregnancy, mother got rubella.
Injury to the ear as a result of a shock or a foreign object falling into it can damage the integrity of the eardrum. As a result, there is a shooting pain in the ear, which gives to the head. Untreated otitis media of the middle ear can lead to rupture of the eardrum.
Inflammation of the mastoid process of the temporal bone, which is located behind the ear, is called mastoiditis. With this pathology, a shooting pain in the ear appears, a throbbing headache, appetite decreases, and insomnia appears.
Angina or acute tonsillitis is a common cause of shooting pains in the head and ear. With this infectious disease, the tonsils are affected, and there is acute pain when swallowing. Pathology is accompanied by fever, weakness and swollen lymph nodes.
Acute pharyngitis can cause shooting pain in the ear. This disease is accompanied by acute sore throat, which can spread to the head and ears. Most often, this symptom occurs when swallowing. With pharyngitis, fever, sore throat and muscle pain are observed.
Inflammation of the sinuses, such as sinusitis, frontal sinusitis, sinusitis, can cause shooting pain in the ear.
Sinusitis affects the sinuses and causes nasal congestion, loss of appetite and sleep, fever and shooting pain in the ear, which gives to the head. This pathology most often appears as a complication after an untreated cold or flu.
Frontitis leads to inflammation of the sinuses located in the frontal part of the head. This pathology is more severe than other forms of sinusitis, as it is accompanied by symptoms such as severe shooting pain in the ears, eyes and head, high body temperature, swelling of the face and discharge of pus from the ears.
Sinusitis is also a common cause of discomfort. Complications of this disease can affect the parts of the hearing and vision organs, cause shooting pain and purulent inflammation. Pathology can lead to a feeling of stuffy ears and hearing loss.
Any catarrhal symptoms or untreated ARI can lead to shooting pain in the ear. Do not disregard this symptom to prevent the development of complications.
Additional causes of lumbago in the ear:
- Flight in an airplane - May cause discomfort in the ears. Due to a sharp drop in pressure in the ears, it can start to shoot without pain.
- Water splashing while swimming - If water gets into your ear, you may experience unpleasant sensations, similar to congestion. At the same time, he shoots in the ear, but does not hurt.
- Sulfur cork - clogs the ear canal, which leads to hearing loss, there is ringing, noise and shooting pain in the ears.
- Furunculosis - purulent inflammatory process, which is accompanied by shooting pain in the ear and redness of the inflamed area.
- Neuritis - or a cold nerve, can lead to sharp shooting pain when chewing, which passes through the face and gives into the ear.
- Caries - It can provoke shooting pain not only in the jaw, but also on the entire side of the face on which the diseased tooth is located. In this case, the shooting pain reaches the auricle.
- Auricle cellulitis - leads to redness and the formation of edema. Often patients complain of shooting pain and a rash behind the ear.
Shoots in the ear - what to do
If you suddenly began to shoot in the ear, you need to contact the otolaryngologist to make a diagnosis and identify the causes of discomfort. The doctor will conduct the necessary diagnostics and select the right treatment.
If the cause of lumbago in the ears is otitis media, then the patient is shown rest and antibacterial drugs - Ceftazidime, Amoxiclav, Ciprofloxacin.
If the painful symptom is not accompanied by temperature, then physiotherapy is prescribed: electrophoresis, UHF, ultraviolet radiation.
With an increase in body temperature to 38-39 degrees, prescribe the use of antipyretic drugs - Paracetamol, Ibuprofen.
For a complex effect, anti-inflammatory ear drops are prescribed, such as Otinum, Polydex, Otipax or antibacterial drops: Normax, Tsipromed, Fugentin.
For the use of antibiotics should be a direct indication, they are not suitable for self-medication or prevention. Preparations of this class are prescribed only by the doctor after the diagnosis.
To eliminate pain, painkillers like Aspirin, Ketanov, Nurofen will help.
Often, folk remedies are used to eliminate pain in the ear.One of the most common is boric alcohol or a 3% solution of boric acid. It is used instead of ear drops or is used to impregnate cotton flagella.
Boric acid is a fairly powerful tool, so it is not recommended for use in the treatment of children, as well as other alcohol-containing drugs. To eliminate shooting pain in children, you can use herbal infusions, for example, from chamomile or lemon balm for washing the ears.
For the treatment of adults, alcohol tinctures are more effective.
- Dried lemon balm leaves - 10 gr.
- Medical alcohol - ½ cup.
How to cook: Mash dried leaves with a rolling pin and soak in half a glass of alcohol. Let it brew for a day, strain.
How to use: Soak a cotton swab in tincture, squeeze and place in a sore ear for 10 minutes. Use no more than twice a day.
Result: The tool eliminates the discomfort in the organ of hearing, relieves pain. In the ear ceases to shoot, ringing and extraneous noise disappear.
Compress with a camomile
- Chamomile flowers - 1 tablespoon.
- Melilotus officinalis - 1 tablespoon.
How to cook: Pour herbs in a glass of boiling water, let it brew for half an hour, then strain.
How to use: Moisten a piece of gauze folded several times in the infusion. Apply a compress to the sore ear, insulate with cotton wool on top and fix with a bandage or scarf.
Result: Compress warms up the ear area, relieves pain and eliminates “shooting” in the ears.
You will learn more about earache in the video:
Compliance with a number of preventive measures will help to avoid the appearance of uncomfortable shooting sensations in the ears and head:
- do not sneeze with your mouth closed
- when blowing your nose, close one nostril one by one,
- when bathing the baby, keep his head above the water to prevent water from entering the ear canal,
- Avoid dirty pools prohibited for swimming,
- Use warm water and soft cotton-flagella to clean your ears.
What to remember
- Due to the high interconnection of the organs of hearing, vision and throat, the cause of the appearance of shooting pain in the ear can be any ENT disease.
- A timely visit to the doctor will help to establish the correct diagnosis and start treatment on time.
- Depending on the cause of the discomfort, antihistamines, anti-inflammatory or antibacterial drugs are prescribed.
- Treatment with folk remedies is recommended as first aid, but it should not replace traditional medicine.
First, it is necessary to examine the ear for the presence of foreign objects in it and, if any, to consult a pediatric otorhinolaryngologist. In other cases, the following actions will be appropriate:
- Blot a cotton swab in a 3% peroxide solution and gently clean the eye.
- To relieve pain, instill 2-3 drops of Otipax or Otinum in the ear canal.
- Give the baby an analgesic (Ibuprofen, Nurofen, etc.).
Next, you need the help of a specialist.
What can not be done?
In case of pain in a child, it is strictly forbidden to do the following:
- Use folk remedies of dubious action.
- Ignore doctor visits and self-medicate.
- Independently remove a foreign object from the ear.
- Make a hot compress (especially in the presence of purulent discharge).
- Avoid taking antibiotics prescribed by your doctor.
If the ambulance is already on the way, the baby should only be reassured and laid in a warm bed.
Is it possible to treat with boric alcohol?
Boric acid is characterized by analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects, so it is actively used for shooting pain in the ear. To do this, 2 drops of the drug are dripped into both ear canals, after which the patient needs to relax and lie down for 10 minutes. At the same time, boric acid can be used as a compress (moisten a cotton swab and insert into a sore ear for the night).
Shoots the ear and gives it to the temple, what could it be?
If during shooting it gives to the temple, this can be a symptom of lymphadenitis (inflammation of the lymph nodes), osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, sinusitis, dental diseases, otitis media of the inner or middle ear, facial neuralgia, etc. It is possible to establish the exact cause solely through diagnosis.
It can shoot in the ear for various reasons, and in each case an individual approach to treatment is required. Anti-inflammatory drops, analgesics and homemade compresses will come to the rescue. However, in order to avoid health problems, you should not self-medicate and, first of all, you need to find out the cause of the pain. You can only stop the attack on your own, but further actions should take place under the supervision of a doctor.